Monday, April 19, 2010

#4 Fish the Sevier River

Things to Do and See in Marysvale #4
Fish the Sevier River
Something about kids, and an impromptu fishing expedition, brings a feeling of nostalgia for me. I grew up in a fishing family, not a weekend of summer went by without a fishing trip to one of the many local fishing hot spots. My mom liked to sit in a chair and shore fish, while my Dad would take me walking up and down the Sevier to do a little fly fishing. I don't remember if we caught any fish or not, the time spent with my Dad was the biggest catch of the day.

So when my kids ask if we can walk down to the Sevier River with their friends and fish, I can't say no. We stopped and picked up some night crawlers from Tugs, Dave Pratz was there and reported the river was still low enough for a good catch, Tom suggested we try Power Bait on a treble hook. Down at the river we met up with other families from town, all of us there with the same intention, to build memories more so than to catch dinner. Though a dinner of fish would have been nice. A few days earlier one of the young men had caught a 3 pound trout from the Sevier River, so expectations were high.

Brown trout are stocked annually in the Sevier River in Marysvale Canyon Rainbow trout move downstream from Piute Reservoir and some wild rainbow trout are recruited to the river from tributary streams, such as Deer Creek, Pine Creek, Clear Creek, and Beaver Creek. Whether you fly fish, bait fish or spin, the fishing on Sevier is usually excellent. Don't forget to bring a camera along, the biggest catch of the day may be the memories you create.

No comments:

Post a Comment