Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The old Marysvale Bridge

I just updated an article on Marysvale's website about the old bridge east of Marysvale.  Growing up in Monroe, with roots deep in Marysvale, my family visited often.  We came to Marysvale every May to decorate graves for Memorial Day.  I remember crossing the old bridge, the unique rumble sort of sound it made, I wondered if we might fall through.  When I was doing the research for my article, I learned the old Marysvale Bridge was built to handle a 20 ton live load, we weren't at risk of falling through.  Darin remembers his Grandpa Haws and others working for the VCA frequently crossing the old one lane bridge with a semi truck loaded with uranium, around 40 tons a trip.  The old Bridge, built in 1910, has withstood floods and ice flows and still stands strong today.  A two lane bridge eventually replaced the wooden one lane bridge.  No one wanted the beautiful old bridge torn down, so the new one was built north of the old one and the road re routed to the new one.  The Marysvale Bridge today is accessible by foot, some of the planks have been robbed from it's deck, still fun to walk out across and see the craftsmanship of a day gone by.  Visitors to the Paiute Trail pass by the Marysvale Bridge when connecting to several trails departing east of Marysvale.

1 comment:

  1. It seems like the more we learn the less we know about this lil old town called Marysvale. I love the reasearch you have done and love the full article on the bridge. Good Job!!

    ReplyDelete